COOLCAT Multi-Layer Insulation (MLI) for Cryogenic Applications
Beyond Gravity's COOLCAT line of multi-layered thermal insulation products is designed specifically for cryogenic applications. We offer standard and tailor-made insulation solutions, made with aluminized polyester foils interleaved with polyester spacer materials or aluminum foils interleaved with glass spacer materials. We also supply welding protection materials and tapes.
Laser Cutting of Polyester Superinsulation
To precisely cut polyester superinsulation blankets to shape, we use numerically controlled (NC) laser cutting machines. This process assembles the multi-layered package around its cutting edges, using bridges of molten polyester to hold the edges together. Laser cut edges are open for edge pumping.
Our NC laser cutting machines can accommodate a maximum width of 2.7 m and length of 3.0 m, which does not limit the length of individual superinsulation blankets. This method of producing polyester superinsulation is very efficient, as no additional assembly of the layers (pins, staples, welding points or similar) is required to create a robust blanket with excellent handling properties.
Superior Performance of COOLCAT Insulation
COOLCAT insulation is made with high-quality materials and construction methods, resulting in superior performance in cryogenic applications. Key features include:
- High-quality polyester film, 6 or 12 μm thick, double-sided aluminized at minimum 40 nm (400 Å)
- Reflector foils separated with pure polyester spacer material
- 10 layers of foil and 10 layers of spacer combined as a semi-finished insulation lay-up, ready for cutting
- Insulation perforated for complete evacuation of the vacuum chamber
- Insulation designed based on CAD models and cut accurately on the numerically controlled laser cutting machine
- Insulation easy to handle due to laser cut edges
- Insulation performance long-term stable, no degradation due to spacer material, no flattening, limited gravitational compression, no severe compression effect over edges
- Very high reproducibility of performance in serial production